Skip to main content

Entrance Requirements

pointing%20help.jpgAcademic requirements

  • English – one of the following:
    1. English 12 (67% or higher)
    2. Communication 12 (86% or higher)
    3. Post secondary English course where instruction is in English (55% or higher)
    4. Duolingo English test (115 or higher)
  • Grade 12 Graduation – or equivalent:
    1. 4 year Post Secondary Degree where instruction was in English 
    2. Secondary International education evaluated here

Application Documents 

  • Application Form
  • Police Information Check with vulnerable sector screening 
  • Photo ID 
  • 2-character reference forms
  • Handwritten letter of introduction 

The application form, reference forms and more information about each requirement can be found in our application package on the Apply Now page

Frequently Asked Questions about Admissions 

Is there an age limit/restriction to apply?

No, you only have to show that you have graduated high school (or equivalent), which in some cases depending on your birthdate and start of class you could be 17/18 years old. If you are too young it is possible that you will be exempt from completing the police information check as it is only relevant after you are 18 years old. It is important to keep in mind that you will be required to complete a police information check with vulnerable sector screening if you are hired with the Surrey School District later on. There is also no maximum age that we accept to the program, as long as you are physically capable of carrying out the responsibilities of an education assistant.

Are there any work or volunteer experience requirements?

No. In your letter of introduction you can use any example of experience you have with youth and children it does not need to be work or volunteer based experience. We are looking for insight into who you are and how you engage with people, specifically young and vulnerable people.

Can I take your program if I am here from another country?

As long as you are in Canada legally you may apply and take the program.  A landed immigrant card, permanent resident card, or a BC work visa is acceptable. Our program does not require a student visa, but if you intend to work in Canada upon graduation you should have a valid work visa. 

Where do I get the Police Information Check?

Please take our checklist or entrance requirements shown above to your local Police Department and ask them for a Police Information Check with Vulnerable Sector Screening. Surrey residents can visit this website for more information on the Police Information Check.

Who can do my character reference forms?

You can ask a current or previous employer, teacher or member of the community that is not a friend or family member. If you are new to Canada you can use a reference from your home Country.

What should I write in my letter of introduction?

Use this opportunity to tell us about who you are, your experience and knowledge around working with kids, let your personality show through and highlight why you feel this career would be suitable for you.

When should I apply?

Registration opens 5-6 months before the next cohort start, so if you are interested in applying for February start you can apply as early as September (prior year). If you are applying for September start you can send your application as early as March. We recommend that you send your application in as early as possible to ensure you hold a seat in the program. 

I am planning a vacation, are there any breaks in the program?

We close the school for Winter break (2 weeks around the end of the year) and in the spring cohort, we close for one week in March usually the second last week of March. 


image description
Back to top