Code of Conduct
The North Surrey Learning Centre is a community of over 300 students. As in any community, citizens must work together with cooperation and understanding. Our common purpose at the North Surrey Learning Centre is to acquire knowledge, develop skills, develop positive attitudes towards learning, to be responsible citizens, and respect the rights and property of others.
To this end, students can demonstrate the attributes of a responsible young adult by adhering to the following expectations while under the jurisdiction of the school, travelling to/from school, while at school, or while at any school sponsored function whenever and wherever it is held.
1. ACCEPTANCE: All expressions of racial/ethnic bias or acts of racist/sexist behaviour, will be dealt with swiftly, and may result in suspension. Vandalism/willful damage to school property or property of others are not acceptable.
2. NO VIOLENCE AT ALL: We are a VIOLENCE FREE environment. Violence in any form, verbal threats, bullying or cyber- bullying, intimidation or harassment will not be tolerated. Any form of violence will result in school discipline, suspension and possible charges being laid.
3. NO DRUGS OR ALCOHOL: Students under the influence or in possession of drugs or alcohol will be suspended. This type of violation could result in school discipline, suspension and could result in dismissal from the school.
4. LANGUAGE: Foul language has no place in a work environment. Please do not use foul or inappropriate language. Repeat offenders may be asked to leave.
5. ATTENDANCE is mandatory. Please phone the school if you are going to be absent. Students will be expected to make up unexcused absences. If absences continue, the student may be suspended or withdrawn from our program.
6. LATES: Students who are up to ½ hour late may be asked to make up 15 minutes at the end of class. If you have a legitimate reason, please call ahead, and advise your teacher.
7. AS A STUDENT CENTRED/SELF DIRECTED Learning Centre, we expect that students will make progress. Students not progressing will be placed on an agreement to achieve their goals.
8. COMPUTER USE: The computers may NOT be used for music, or personal use (personal e-mail, social media) during class time. No food or drinks are allowed at computers or with laptops.
9. STUDENTS MUST STAY on school property and are not permitted to leave without parent/guardian permission.
10. STUDENTS ARE NOT PERMITTED to be on other school property during regular school hours and days.
11. STUDENTS ARE RESPONSIBLE for school books and materials. Students not returning these items will be charged
12. SCHOOL ATTIRE: Students are expected to wear suitable clothing. Clothing with inappropriate logos, images or wording is unacceptable. Students showing excessive skin or undergarments will be asked to cover up. Hemlines or shorts and skirts are to be no longer than the bottom of the fingertips.
13. VAPING/SMOKING: Use of tobacco, cannabis and nicotine products are prohibited on School District property.