CAREER CENTRE WEBSITE please click here
Follow us @lam_career_centre for tons of job and volunteer opportunities as well as post-secondary programs & scholarship info!
LA Matheson's Career Centre and its Career Education Programs are an essential part of every student's education. Through our work we bring the world to our students and our students out into the world. Our various specialized programs are designed to recognize the diverse abilities, strengths and aspirations of all students, providing them with the knowledge and skills that will benefit them throughout their lives.
The L.A. Matheson Career Centre provides the following resources, services and information:
- Post-Secondary Planning and Career Advising
- Career Exploration programs - opportunities to connect with community experts
- Mentorship opportunities
- Resume, Cover Letter and Interview Preparation
- Volunteer Opportunities
- Co-op Programs - earn valuable work experience as part of your education
- Dual Credit District Partnership Programs - earn post-secondary credits in secondary school
- Education Assistant, Counselling, Legal Office Procedures, Health Sciences
- Post-Secondary field study experiences
- Youth Work in Trades Program Apprenticeships
- Youth Train in Trades Apprenticeships (Electrical, Culinary)
District Partnership Programs with KPU, BCIT, VCC, Douglas College, NVIT
Partnership Programs are Career Preparation programs developed in partnership with local Post-Secondary Institutions such as BCIT, Kwantlen Polytechnic University, and VCC to provide specialized training not offered in secondary schools. Students have the opportunity to complete entry level training conjunction with their secondary school graduation requirements. Programs offered are: Automotive Service Technician, Automotive Collision & Refinishing, Baking and Pastry Arts, Carpentry, Culinary Arts, CADD Technologies, Education Assistant, Electrical, Hairdressing, Horticulture, Joinery, Masonry, Millwright, Painting, Plumbing, Roofing, Metal-Steel Fabrication, and Welding.
Summer Programs for students during the summer after grade 11 has been completed:
- Introduction to Health Sciences (KPU)
- Practice for Child and Youth Care Counsellors (Douglas College)
- Introduction to Legal Office Procedures (KPU)
- These are individual courses. Upon completion, students receive 3 post-secondary university-college credits and 4 high school credits.
Co-op Education is a one semester program that includes three academic courses, Career Life Connections 12 and two three week work experience placements: Co-op specialties:
The Matheson Co-op:
- a Social Science 12 (student's choose one of Law Studies 12, Political Studies 12, Economics 12) (4 credits)
- Composition 11 (4 credits)
- Spoken Language (4 credits)
- Career Life Connections 12 (4 credits)
- 2 Work Experiences (4 credits)
- 5 courses in Semester 2 for 20 credits. Students may apply for a study block in Semester 1 of their gr. 11 year.
Information Technology 11 or 12 - please see Ms. Mckay for details
Culinary Arts 12 - please see Chef Sigurdson-Longo for details
|Last Name||First Name||Email Address||Job Title||Web Page|
|a_Matheson_Career Website||Career Centre Website|
|Deol||Devinderemail@example.com||Career Development Facilitator, Lead Learner, Scholarships Coordinator||Scholarships Committee website|
|Konkin||Jacquiefirstname.lastname@example.org||CLC 12 Teacher, Co-op Coordinator|
|Levinsky||Shannonemail@example.com||Career Centre Assistant||Career Centre Website|