About our school:
- Chimney Hill Elementary, located in east Newton, is a large, culturally diverse K-7 school. Since opening in September 2001, Chimney Hill has grown from 270 to 700 students.
- The culture of Chimney Hill is collaborative and teachers are motivated. The staff includes many experienced teachers and several enthusiastic, beginning teachers.
- Parents are highly involved in school life. Since the school opened in 2001, parents have paid for 3 phases of an adventure playground. They have also helped purchase a portable computer lab, helped acquire document cameras, ipads and many books for the library, as well as numerous resources. They are an integral part of our learning community.
- Chimney Hill is an exciting and vibrant school community offering a wide range of opportunities for students. There are several highly trained Fine Art teachers on staff, and as a result the school offers an excellent Fine Arts program including choral and instrumental groups, dance and visual arts. Our school offers a wide variety of athletic programs including both intramural and extramural programs. Student leadership is formally encouraged through leadership teams and Student Council.
- To continue to incorporate the use of digital tools in the classroom to increase student engagement and to leverage learning in all areas of the curriculum.
- To improve our students' abilities to think creatively and critically, using problem-solving skills in numeracy.
- To improve our student's abilities to think creatively and critically, using problem solving and skills in social responsibility.
Accomplishments and Initiatives:
- Primary early intervention to develop literacy skills for all children.
- Integration of technology into classrooms with three wireless iBook computer carts.
- Participation in the District Choral Festival, the Instrumental Festival and the Dance Festival.
- Promotion of leadership through Student Council, Intramurals and Rick Hansen Awards.
- Well represented in extracurricular athletic programs including cross country, soccer, volleyball, basketball, badminton, ultimate Frisbee, running club, track and field.
- Intramural Athletics and Running Club
- Hands-on, resource-based mathematics, providing a concrete base for an improved understanding of mathematical concepts.
- Active and supportive Parent Advisory Council (PAC).
- Encourage reading through an Author Day, Intermediate Book Swap and Adventures into Reading.
- Fruit and Vegetable Program
- Last year we produced a school musical, 'Sound of Music', and presented two afternoon and two evenings performances.