Welcome to École Woodward Hill Elementary
We have such a great school! We are so pleased to share it with you!
École Woodward Hill is a dual track school which supports both the K-7 English and K-7 French Immersion language programs.
The school opened its doors in March of 2010. The staff and students were excited to move into such a beautiful facility. The school is a GOLD LEED building, the first in Surrey, and features the latest in environmental design and technology. Students have lots of natural light to learn by. There are fresh air vents in every room. We have a geothermal system that keeps us warm in the winter and cool when we need it to. The lights turn off when you leave the room and the rubber flooring helps to keep noise to a minimum. Plumbing, paint, glues and other components of the building are all environmentally friendly. The landscaping was carefully planned and trees and shrubs that are natural to the area were planted to provide shade as well as enhance the environment for the school community. Even the light coloured cement is environmenally friendly as it creates less heat than darker colours. You are welcome to come in and learn more about the building by reading the information posters on the walls, or checking out the computer monitor in the foyer.
The design of the school is very supportive of student learning. The space provides opportunities for learning inside and outside of the classroom. There is lots of collaboration, project work and student interaction happening in the pods.
Our school goals, expectations and policies reflect the environmental focus. We have a Litter Free Lunch policy which encourages students to bring water and lunches in reusable containers. We have an extensive composting program. We recycle cardboard and plastics and encourage the reuse of paper. Event and activity planning is done with environmental responsibility in mind.
We have incorporated the use of technology and this too is a focus for the school. Most classrooms have digital projectors and many have Smart Boards. We have iPads and a mobile lab that are available for classroom use.
Our greatest asset is our students! Woodward Hill has a wonderfully diverse population and a very active and supportive parent community. Our students are taught creative and critical thinking and problem solving skills and are encouraged to apply those skills in the classroom and on the playground. We strive to live by our Mission (see 'School Home' tab) and Belief Statements and these statements form the basis of our Code of Conduct and expectations for behaviour. We model and practice showing respect, taking responsibility and being role models.
We look forward to meeting you and your family!
Mr. Brad Issel Mrs. Dajana Erceg
Principal/Directrice Vice Principal/Directrice Adjointe
Our Belief Statements:
- We believe that:
- Everyone deserves respect and we need to respect ourselves, each other and the school
- Everyone is able to learn, contribute and experience success
- Everyone belongs and has the right to feel safe and happy at school
- Results improve when learners are engaged and there are high expectations for student achievement
- Communication, collaboration and cooperation build strong school communities
- We can help lead the way to environmental responsibility
- These belief statements form the basis of the Code of Conduct for all members of the school community.
- As individuals, and collectively, we strive to:
Show RESPECT Take RESPONSIBILITY Be ROLE-MODELS
Accomplishments and Initiatives:
- Student leadership opportunities
- Strong parent involvement through PAC
- Focus on numeracy
- Increasing student social responsibility through cooperative citizenship, environmental awareness and personal problem-solving skills
- Daily physical activity
- Use of technology including Smartboards and Document Cameras