French Immersion (K-12)
WHAT IS FRENCH IMMERSION?
French Immersion is an intensive second language acquisition program common in all provinces of Canada, including British Columbia. Students study in French while following the regular B.C. Curriculum Prescribed Learning Outcomes. French Immersion is available to all students. Students of all linguistic backgrounds are welcome. Parents need not speak English or French to enroll their children in French Immersion. Surrey French Immersion programs are provided in schools which also offer the regular English program.
The French Immersion program gives the students an opportunity to experience a whole new world. With the age of information, communication technology and travel upon us, knowing another language will assist students in having more career doors open to them as they become adults in the community.
FRENCH IMMERSION GOALS
1. To produce students who are able to understand and communicate in French and English.
2. To allow students to develop linguistic and cultural knowledge of both Canada's official languages that supports a spirit of positive appreciation and respect.
3. To foster the intellectual, physical, emotional, social and creative development of children.
4. To develop awareness, appreciation, respect and understanding of the French and English cultures and values.
5. To enable students to pursue further education and careers in either or both languages.
French is one of Canada's two official languages. It is also a "world" language or an "international" language because of its broad geographical distribution on the planet: French is spoken in five continents and is a language shared by 45 countries.
In Surrey . . .
- Students enter the program in kindergarten or in Grade 6.
- French Immersion teachers speak French fluently and are certified in British Columbia.
Early French Immersion
Follow this link for more information about Early French Immersion and the Kindergarten Lottery.
Late French Immersion
Late French Immersion begins in Grade 6 for students who have not had any previous learning in French. English language instruction is introduced in Grade 3 and continues with 20% English and 80% French through Grade 7.
Late French Immersion Locations:
Sunrise Ridge Elementary
18690 – 60 Avenue
Henry Bose Elementary
Jessie Lee Elementary
SUGGESTIONS FOR PARENTS
How can I help my child?
- Read aloud daily in the language of the home and talk about what is being learned at school. Children quickly transfer knowledge between languages.
- Encourage involvement in French and English activities outside of school: books, cultural events, music,
- educational television and summer camps.
Can I help out at school if I don't speak French?
- Talk with the teacher about helping in the classroom and in the school. Non-French speakers are welcome!
- Opportunities to participate include; field trips, cooking, reading, doing crafts with the children, helping in the library and being active in your school's Parent Advisory Committee.
Will Early French Immersion affect my child's achievement in mathematics and other subjects?
- French Immersion students perform as well as their English-educated counterparts in all subject areas. In fact, in Surrey, French Immersion students surpass the provincial average in writing and math in the Foundation Skills Assessment (a provincial test administered to all B.C. Grade 4 and Grade 7 students).
- Learning in an additional language contributes to the development of strong communication skills, flexible thinking and expands the cultural horizons of the students
Secondary French Immersion is a continuation of Early and Late French Immersion. Grades 8, 9 and 10 students receive a minimum of 50% of their instruction in French, which includes an intensive French Language Arts program. Grade 11 students receive a minimum of 25% of their instruction in French, while Grade 12 students have a minimum of one course in French (French Language Arts). Students completing the French Immersion program in Grade 12 receive a bilingual graduation certificate.
Secondary French Immersion Locations:
Panorama Ridge Secondary
For more information on French Immersion programs, please contact the schools or Priority Practices (Languages Department) at: