Policies & Procedures
SCHOOL CLOSURES AND HOLIDAYS
CODE OF CONDUCT:
- Students are expected to abide by the Johnston Heights Code of Conduct which is consistent with Surrey School District expectations in all Surrey schools and the IB Programme. The Code of Conduct can be viewed by clicking the PDF link below.
- STUDENT DRIVERS If you are driving your car to school and parking in a school parking lot, the car must be registered at the office. We place warning notifications on student cars that are not registered.
- VOLUNTEER DRIVERS: Should a parent, guardian or student volunteer to drive other students for a field trip or other excursion, they must be registered with the school ahead of time. This Volunteer Driver Registration form must be renewed annually and can be obtained from the school office.
RELEASE OF INFORMATION:
- Students must fill out a Media-Web consent form at the start of Grade 8 or upon first time entry to the school. This form is kept on file and can be updated at any time by requesting a new one from the office.
- If your child will be absent or late, please ensure a parent or guardian calls to inform the school. As we have an automated phone system, a voicemail message can be left any time of day or night. Student first name and last name are required; grade and student number are appreciated.
- Calls will not be taken from students calling to excuse themselves.
- In the event of an extended absence, please notify a counselor or member of the Admin Team to discuss your child's time away from school. If the absence is a vacation, trip for family or other purposes that will extend for a period longer than five school days, we require a Notification of Extended Absence form be completed, returned and signed by all the student's teachers and an Administrator at least two weeks prior to departure. This form can be requested from the office.
- In the event of severe environmental conditions, please review the Weather Guidelines outlined in the PDF below.
- Schools will not routinely be closed due to snow or other weather conditions unless there is damage or other circumstances (e.g., power outage) at a particular school that makes it impossible to operate safely. No announcement will be made that schools are open; only cancellations, closures or delayed school openings will be announced.
- In the event of class cancellations or delayed school openings, the Surrey School District will post information on its website at www.surreyschools.ca and provide updates to the following news media:
- News 1130 (1130 AM) CKNW (980 AM) CBC Radio (690 AM)
- Red-FM (93.1 FM) CTV News Vancouver Global News BC