Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
SharePoint

Cloverdale Traditional

A community of caring, respectful and responsible learners

Other
Other

 
Cloverdale OLD.jpg Historical Importance

The Cloverdale school site is the longest continuously used school site in Surrey. The first public school in the municipality was erected here in 1884, and since that time there has been a series of additions, replacement schools and new schools that reflect ongoing community growth and development. Population growth was steady, and the school system struggled to keep pace. A new four-room elementary school, Cloverdale Public School, was completed in 1912, but high school students still had to travel to schools in New Westminster, Blaine or Langley. By 1919, Cloverdale School became the first dedicated high school in Surrey.
 
In 1921 a school referendum was successfully passed by Surrey voters that allowed the construction of a new free-standing high school. The next year, on January 3rd, 1922 the new Surrey High School was formally opened just to the east of the elementary school on New McLellan Road (Hwy #10). This is the current Cloverdale Traditional School and comprises the oldest part of the current structure. This picture is part of the school population in 1923.
 
The School that is currently called Cloverdale Traditional School has a long history. From 1921 to 1940 it was Surrey High School. From 1940 to 1957 it was Lord Tweedsmuir High School. From 1957 to 1965 it was Cloverdale Junior High School. From 1965 to 2003 it was Cloverdale Elementary School. After September 2003 it became Cloverdale Traditional School.
 
Cloverdale Traditional School has been registered as a Historical Property in Surrey and is valued as an example of traditional school architecture. The 1922 structure is two storeys in height, distinguished by a semicircular parapetted gable and broad hipped roof. It was designed by English-trained James Boulton Whitburn (1882-1931), who had established his practice in New Westminster in 1912, and designed a number of that city's local schools. The builders were Sloan and Harrison, prominent contractors based in New Westminster. Alterations and additions have distorted the original character, integrity and symmetry of the school, however, the basic scale and massing remain unaltered.

For more information:
Session info
Time: 10/22/2020 10:53:25 PM
Host: AS80
Ref# f9cf5